Lies My Demons Taught Me*

"You are broken."  (Not just humanly fallible, but flawed, damaged in a way that others are not.)

"You are dangerous.  One day you may even kill somebody."  (Said to me, age 8 or 9, when I was fighting a bully.)

"You are wrong to defend yourself, even when you are attacked."  (See above.)

"If you cannot do x or y now, it is because you have no talent for it.  Don't even try."  (My father's rule in life.)

"You are impatient--and stubborn--because of where you were born."  (Meant as an affectionate joke, but heard as an accusation: "You can't change.  You're just the same as when you were two.")

"It's amazing anybody would want to marry [you]."  (Said by my father to one of his friends; reported to me at his funeral, albeit in disbelief.)

"You're not brilliant, you just work hard."  (Said by one of my classmates in college after I got a higher grade on a paper than he did.)

"Have you ever thought of writing something that others might actually want to read?"  (Asked by relatives whenever I explain my academic work.)

"It's selfish to do the work that you want."  (Unattributed, not sure why I believe this one.)

"You suck.  Quit now.  You'll never be able to do it.  Stop acting like such a child.  You always behave this way.  Have you considered getting therapy for this?  You're really broken.  I'd be afraid if I were you."  (Chorus.)

*And which I am particularly inclined to believe when I feel threatened or afraid.

Comments

  1. I used to believe the same as you re: talent - if I wasn't born with it, it's not there at all.

    BS, I say! I'm frightfully average and the only reason I've become good at anything is practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touché! Blast those demons and their lies! The one about "talent" is particularly insidious. "Talent" = "hard work"--and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GET OUT OF MY HEAD! (Except for the one about hard work -- I always got/get the "You just coast on sheer talent; you'll never work hard enough to really accomplish anything." flip side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have these friends too? Insidious little parasites, aren't they? Cunning, too. D**n them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know whether parents realize the damage they can do their children by uttering those razor-sharp, albeit senseless and mean, remarks, even to third parties. For some reason, they always find a way to travel back to us - and hurt.

    My father once told my sister, who then eagerly repeated to me: "I am counting on you to become a grandfather, because the only thing your sister (i.e. me) will ever be able to produce is cats."

    Not books, articles, inspired students... no, no, no. Cats. In my family's eyes, a female PhD student is nothing more than a single childless crazy cat lady.

    In the meantime, I am 33, single, I do not have children, I have not finished my degree yet but... I have two cats! And what if what they said were true? :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if it were true (which in the long run, I doubt very much!), who is to say that they are right to condemn it? This is the problem with the demons: what they say has just enough truth in it to snare us, and then we believe them wholeheartedly. Which does not make them right, just very clever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my blog post. I look forward to hearing what you think!

F.B.

Popular posts from this blog

Lobstercide

“Piss Christ” and the Son of Allah

Getting Medieval on Postmodernism

St. Milo the Dangerous and the Dragon of Chaos