Bears Abroad! Q&A with Madam Mayo

Madam Mayo invited me to answer a few questions about our poetry over on her blog. I was happy to oblige!


C.M. MAYO: How did you find Handrawnbear? Because, Wow!

RACHEL FULTON BROWN: Handdrawnbear found us! She had been working for several years making drawings and animations at unBearables Media (https://unbearablesmedia.com/hand-drawn-bear/). I was in touch with one of their other creators and asked if there were anyone interested in doing illustrations for our new bear poem. Being a “bear,” she jumped at the chance! She has written on her own blog about how working with us has inspired her to write more Christian poetry (https://handdrawnbear.com/blogs/handdrawn-journal/the-once-mute-bear-finds-her-voice).

I notice that in her version of the story, I found her. This is a taste of what it was like working on Aurora Bearialis: it often felt as if the poem were writing itself or that we were discovering it along with the penguins and bears. To this day, I have only a vague memory of who wrote what or even whether the words or pictures came first. More often than not, we would be writing, and Handdrawnbear would show us her sketches, and we would suddenly realize what came next thanks to her drawings. And yet, she remembers the process as finding the visuals to fit the words. Both are true! 

Read on! Q&A with Rachel Fulton Brown About the Dragon Common Room and “Aurora Bearialis.”

Comments

  1. Rachel, I suspect you might have at least one of these. If so, then to some, you are fully armed.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! This might help
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/08/the-central-bigotry-of-the-left.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least one?! I think I have one in every room! En garde, Satan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my blog post. I look forward to hearing what you think!

F.B.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Be God-Right

Gut Reaction

The Sworn Book of Professor Peterson

Hot Button Issues, No. 4: Talking Politics

Medieval History 101: The Unauthorized Version