Post-PRK Three months to the day

I am still putting drops* in my eyes several times a day, plus Fluorometholone morning and evening.

I am still putting gel** in my eyes every night and falling asleep to the same P.G. Wodehouse audiobook*** I've been listening to for the past three months.

I still experience significant ghosting when my eyes get tired or I forget my drops or, as today, when it is cloudy outside.

I still have trouble seeing faces or reading signs at a distance (e.g. in church or when driving), and right now, I can't read the spines on the books across the room from where I am sitting.

But....

Most of the time I can see faces clearly across a small room.

I can read my computer screen without glasses.

I can see nearly perfectly in bright sunlight and sometimes I even forget that I didn't used to be able to see that far without glasses.

I suspect I am still not yet fully healed and that my vision will continue to improve.

Am I sorry that I had the surgery?  No.

Was it worth the three months (and counting) of healing?  Probably, but ask me again in a year.  Right now, I'm still pretty tired and I don't think it is entirely thanks to the sinus infection I've had for the past week or so.

Would I recommend the procedure?  Ah.  Well, yes, probably, but with the same caveat as one would recommend having one's kitchen remodeled or adopting a dog.  You have no idea what you're in for, even if the results are everything you hoped.

Would I do it again?  Thank goodness, I don't think I'll have to, but I really don't know.  The procedure itself was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, but the frustration and the fatigue over the past three months are not to be sneezed at.  It is probably better that I didn't know how long it would take me to heal, any more than I knew how long it would take to train my dog.  And yet, I wouldn't not have my dog for the world.******

*Systane Ultra High Performance Lubricant Eye Drops, $11.99 (or thereabouts) per 10ml bottle.
**GenTeal Severe Dry Eye Relief Lubricant Eye Gel, another $11.79 (or thereabouts) per 10g tube.
***Hot Water (1932), read by Jonathan Cecil.****
****Whose voice I have now memorized, although I'm still not sure whether I've heard the entire book because my iPod keeps playing after I fall asleep.*****
*****If you're wondering, I don't feel like changing books because a) I don't really care whether I ever hear the whole story--although I am curious--so I don't mind falling asleep; and b) I've heard so much about Packy and Soup and Jane and her father the senator and Mr. and Mrs. Gedge and her maid and the conman and the novelist and the viscount that I find it comforting that they are still trying to figure out how to get the letter out of the safe in Mrs. Gedge's Venetian bedroom and who is in love with whom.

******Or, at least, for perfectly poopless floors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Be God-Right

Gut Reaction

The Sworn Book of Professor Peterson

Hot Button Issues, No. 4: Talking Politics

Medieval History 101: The Unauthorized Version