On Tyranny: Alone of All Her Sex

If the picture doesn’t say it, perhaps the title will! Calling from Athens, Michael Michailidis pressed me to explain why medieval Christians worshipped Mary as a Goddess—except, of course, they didn’t, which took even more explaining. 

Along the way, we touched on the devotion to the Virgin Mary in the liturgy, eros in the Christian Bible, the Great Mother Goddess of old Europe, face masks and their symbolism, the devil and modern technology, and Joseph Campbell’s theories of myth.

Just in time for the feast of the Annunciation! 

Θεοτόκε Παρθένε, χαῖρε, κεχαριτωμένη Μαρία, ὁ Κύριος μετὰ σοῦ. εὐλογημένη σὺ ἐν γυναιξί, καὶ εὐλογημένος ὁ καρπὸς τῆς κοιλίας σου, ὅτι Σωτήρα ἔτεκες τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν.

Listen at Ancient Greece Revisited (YouTube): “The Worship of Virgin Mary, Satan’s Lure, and Facemasks

Listen at AGR On Tyranny Radio (Spotify): “The Virgin in a Pandemic World

For a complete list of my video, podcast, and radio appearances, visit Bear On Air. For my books and articles on the medieval devotion to the Virgin Mary, check out my academic homepage. Further musings on Mary listed at The Lady and the Logos. I have been thinking about masks for some time, long before the worldwide effort to put us all in masks.

Comments

  1. It is so so good. I wish it would go on and on. Your firm stand on the Faith is inspiring. Michael, the host, also earned my deep respect. God bless you, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my blog post. I look forward to hearing what you think!

F.B.

Popular posts from this blog

Chivalry Our Lord's-Style, ca. A.D. 33

Talking Points: Three Cheers for White Men

Make the Middle Ages Dark Again

Free Speech Fundamentals: Building a Platform

God's Fools