25 Random Things About Me

As if you didn't know enough already! Inspired by the current Facebook meme, with the following instructions, and written this morning when I should have been struggling with page 3:

"Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you."

1. I like winter because it means I get to wear sweaters.

2. As I write, my desk and the floor around my desk tend to get covered in photocopies and books. Eventually, it becomes difficult to get to my chair.

3. I had guinea pigs as pets all through college and graduate school. My last guinea pig died the week before my son was born.

4. My favorite colors are jewel tones: rubies, emeralds, sapphires, amethyst. I also rather like silver and gold.

5. I took piano lessons for almost 10 years (it's hard to know how to count that gap between high school and college) and could once play a whole Rachmaninoff Prelude from memory.

6. My office on campus is on the top of a tower and looks out over the great flatland of the South Side of Chicago. I can see the Skyway bridge from here.

7. My favorite board games are "Wadget" and "The Dread Pirate Game."

8. I have written with a fountain pen since I was in 5th grade and had to do penmanship with Mrs. Gilpin.

9. I use Slinkies as fidget toys while I write. The one on my desk at work is a heart.

10. I never know what to say when people ask me where I'm from: St. Louis, where I was born but only lived for 4 months; New Mexico, where I learned to talk and (probably) got my accent; Kentucky, where I "grew up"; Texas, where I went to high school and college; England, where I met my husband; or Chicago, where I have now lived for longer than anywhere I've lived in my life.

11. I love singing but am embarrassed to sing other than at church.

12. I like listening to poetry read by men with English accents.

13. My first job was at Big Cheese Pizza. I still can't see a salad bar without thinking about having to turn all of the pots.

14. I read mystery novels or Terry Pratchett when I'm stressed.

15. When I lived in Albuquerque, I used to pretend that I could see a castle on the top of Sandia Mountain.

16. When I drive, I try to change lanes as little as possible.

17. Every so often, I reread something that I've written and think that it's actually pretty good.

18. I miss looking forward to favorite programs on TV, but I can't stand watching commercials even for a second.

19. My favorite word for God is "Lord." I think it has to do with the way it sounds: llllorddd. Tolkien would understand.

20. I've never seen the Grand Canyon.

21. I like to collect shiny things, particularly diamonds.

22. I really believed the counselors at camp about the Goat Man that haunted the railway trellis.

23. If I could draw better, I would be a children's book artist, like Trina Schart Hyman.

24. My husband says I snore, but I don't believe him.

25. Everything else that you need to know you can find on my blog, including how many body piercings I have--but then you knew that already!

Comments

  1. Perhaps you should sponsor a 'Who's Most Like Fencing Bear?' Contest. I know they were random things, but still, 1 pt for an item you could honestly say 'hey, me too,' (I don't snore either); 2 pts for an item where you could say 'wow, that would be one of my 25' (I'm embarrassed to admit how often I do #17).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find interesting is the different uses that people put these lists to: some are more narrative ("I did this"), some more confessional ("I tend to think or feel this"), some more anecdotal or observational. I'm not quite sure how to characterize mine, but I know that I, too, read other people's lists and start thinking, "Oh, yes, that's me, too!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my blog post. I look forward to hearing what you think!

F.B.

Popular posts from this blog

Chivalry Our Lord's-Style, ca. A.D. 33

Talking Points: Three Cheers for White Men

Make the Middle Ages Dark Again

Free Speech Fundamentals: Building a Platform

God's Fools